Only 44% of American adults get some exercise. But it is not regular or intense enough to help their hearts and overall health. Another 28% of Americans aren’t active at all. Exercise needs to become a habit – part of your regular routine and lifestyle.
Regular exercise is very important to maintain good health. Even people with known cardiovascular disease can benefit from a regular exercise program. Always talk to your physician before starting an exercise program to receive advice on how to get started. You can discuss what type of exercise is best for you, and how much exercise you should get. It is never too late to enjoy the benefits of regular exercise.
What Are the Benefits of Regular Exercise?
- Improves cardiovascular fitness.
- Burns calories.
- Improves lung function.
- Strengthens bones and tones muscles.
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Helps control diabetes or may lessen the risk of getting this disease.
- May improve sleep.
- Reduces stress.
- Can improve sense of well-being.
- Exercises such as walking require no special equipment or skills.